Sunday, March 10, 2013

Where to begin?



This has been quite a bittersweet week. My uncle Fred died Tuesday. He was by far, one of the most remarkable men that I've ever had the pleasure of knowing. He and his wife, Aggie, are what real love stories are made of.

They met while both were in the navy, more than 50 years ago. Uncle Fred was a sailor, and Aggie was a WAC. After a long three week courtship they eloped! The navy said, that is nice, but you're going to do it again, and this time in front of a chaplain!






Until Tuesday, they had been inseparable.

They had six beautiful kids -- 5 boys and a girl. I am so very blessed to be a part of this wonderful family.

Fred was a musician and singer. And I mean this man could sing! There wasn't an instrument he could not play nor a song he couldn't sing.  I did post some videos at Youtube of him and my cousins singing at family gatherings. I'll post more of those at a later date.




















I dedicated my third book, Wee William's Woman, to my uncle. I showed my cousins the dedication page yesterday at the gathering after his funeral. I didn't mean to make them cry, honestly I didn't. But Fred was such a good, decent man and he was so very proud of me. He used to introduce me like this:  "This is my niece, Suzie. She is an author." Words cannot express how much of an impact this man had on my life and how much he will be missed. Truth be told, there is a lot of Fred Dixon in my character, Angus McKenna.




I am so thankful for all the happy memories I have of this sweet man. You couldn't know him and not love him. He was that kind of guy.

Here is the dedication:


I am dedicating this book to my uncle, Fred Dixon, who passed away on March 5, 2013.
Fred was one of the most remarkable, amazing men that I have ever known. He loved to introduce me as “my niece Suzie, the author,” …
Words cannot begin to express what Fred meant to me and to those who knew him.
This book is for him.

Don’t be sad, we had fun.


Uncle Fred singing 

No comments:

Post a Comment