Monday, October 22, 2012

Reviews...

We all get the occasional 'bad review' on our writing. I LOVE honest, thoughtful comments on my books. I'm smart enough to know that the only person who thinks I'm perfect is my mother, so I know not everyone is going to love everything that I write. ;o) I love honest critiques, honest insights and opinions. Even if you didn't like a particular character, or the flow, or whatever, I love to hear w
hy a reader didn't care for something. I've actually learned quite a bit from those types of reviews/insights/opinions and I do appreciate them.

However, the same cannot be said for 'troll's. You know who I'm talking about...people who troll the internet and write REALLY awful stuff, untruthful stuff, and you can tell from what they've written about your work that they haven't even read it. There are just some people who aren't happy unless they're making someone else miserable.

Now, with that said, you'll see a brand new 1 star review on Findley's Lass today. I am just curious...if you don't like a book, do you really read it all the way through? Don't you usually know by the first few pages, or at least the end of the first chapter or two if you'll be able to continue on with it? I just find it odd that if you find a book that bad, why would you continue to read it? Just curious! ;o) I can usually tell by end of first few pages. And yes, I have returned books that were bad before. No, I'm not upset about the review, I just found it quite odd.

I'd love to know what you think. ;o)





Hugs,


Suzan

4 comments:

  1. I have given a few books a 1 star rating before. Sometimes the book was REALLY short, so finishing it wasn't difficult, except that I felt it earned a 1 star rating. Another time, I finished the book because I promised an author/publisher an honest review in exchange for the book. I feel I need to finish the book in that case. Sometimes, it's really hard, but I feel I have to finish it in those cases. There was one that received a 1 star from me and I finished it because it was like watching a train wreck, I couldn't put it down, I had to see how much worse it got.

    That being said, unless it's one of those cases, I put it down if it's that bad and don't finish it.

    I realize not every story is for every person, but I have to say, I'm surprised someone gave Findley's Lass 1 star!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're so sweet Lee Anne! ;o) Thank you so much. It is because of readers like you that I get to live my dream! ;o)

      Hugs,
      Suzan

      Delete
  2. I too am surprised as I just read the entire book, and believe me if it is REALLY a one star book, I just CANNOT finish it. I have had one author that I did read and would have given a low review to, but only because the storyline twisted in on itself and then jumped back and forth, therefore making it VERY hard to read, I had to take it in small doses to get through it, but only because I found the characters interesting. I am not above giving a good honest constructive review, as I have always felt that authors truly want to know what readers think in order to improve their writing style, and or characters. I would offer to you that you find another proof reader as I did find a few grammatical errors or misplaced words, for someone like me though my mind just corrects them and I go on, but I do notice them and wonder how many other readers struggle with trying to make it work. If you ever need a free proof reader, well I am volunteering!!!! tee hee hee Keep up the great work and I will go to Amazon here shortly and add my own review which is sure to cancel out the one star!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just read your review! Thank you so much Suszie! ;o) That made my day! I'm glad you understood Maggie. She'd been through a lot of stuff in her life and she'd pretty much reached the point where she simply wasn't going to take much more. ;o)

      Thank you so very much!

      Hugs,
      Suzan

      Delete